See 1968 summaries: timeline at brown.edu/, media68.net and the sixties at pbs.
last updated 23 Aug 2005
- March - Lyndon Johnson announces he will not run for reelection because of sentiment against the Vietnam War.
- April 4 - Martin Luther King Jr. assinated. Black revolts erupt in 130 cities.
- June 4 - Robert F. Kennedy assinated
- April - Student protest spearheaded by SDS (Students for a Democratic Society) at Columbia U. over plans to build a gym and displace residents in Harlem is eventually broken up by violent intervention from the New York Police.
- National Gard clashes with students at Berkeley over protest against the war activities of the university and that against the prohibition of the seminars of the Black Panther Eldridge Cleaver.
- Student demonstrations in Germany, France, Italy, Japan and Mexico.
- Aug - Protests at the Democratic Natl. Convention in Chicago (Chicago 7)
- Sept. - Escalation of the women's rights movement. A group of feminists went to Atlantic City to protest the Miss America pageant. They originally intended to burn symbols of oppression but were unable to secure a fire permit. The objects were simply deposited in the trashcan instead.
- American Indian Movement (AIM) founded and starts foot patrol in Minneapolis in response to growing police violence. (See Birth of The American Indian Movement)
- Russia invades Prague Czechoslovakia.
- Tlatelolco Massacre - A student demonstration against the Diaz Ordaz regime in Tlatelolco, Mexico City. (500 killed)
- Black Power salutes by John Carlos and Tommy Smith at the Mexico City Olympics.
- My Lai Massacre, Vietnam - 20-100 civilians killed in village of My Lai
- Tet Offensive - Major North Vietnamese surprise offensive against American and South Vietnamese forces on the eve of the lunar New Year celebrations.
- Oct. 31 - President Lyndon Johnson suspends the US bombing of North Vietnam on October 31st, 1968, which was a vital pre-condition of the Vietcong's willingness to enter negotiations.
- Richard Nixon elected president and bombing of North Vietnam begins again.